[pct-l] PCT Advice

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Tue Jun 5 00:44:27 CDT 2018

I'd like to add some things that helped me:

- Do a medium-length thru hike first.  Something long enough to need a
resupply, definitely more than a week.  JMT is great for this, and is a
great hike in its own right.
- Do lots of short weekend overnight backpacking trips while figuring
out your gear choices.  If possible, do this in hilly deserts with
sparse water, so you're prepared to the first part of the PCT.
- Make absolutely sure you can do 20 mile days in hilly desert hikes
with sparse water, necessitating ~4L water carries.
- Long-distance aerobic exercise like marathon running can be a good way
to ensure you're in good enough health to do a thru without injuring
yourself.  It can also help you understand your body's water needs,
which is a very important technical point.  The training can physically
help, as well.  It's not a perfect match for the stresses your body
experiences hiking, but it's a lot easier to fit into a regular daily
life than actual backpacking.
- Don't mail your resupplies unless you have special needs (e.g.
medication, serious allergies, etc.).  The first several resupply points
vary from adequate to excellent.  It will give you a taste of whether
you can manage with the resupply options available.  It's unlikely that
you'll be able to correctly predict your arrival dates, calorie needs,
and food preferences far in advance.  If this doesn't work out, you can
always start mailing resupplies later.
- Don't buy all your shoes in advance.  You may discover that your foot
grew more than expected in the desert.
- Use one of the formulas available online to calculate the day you
should enter the Sierras, based on available snow data.  From that,
derive your start date based on the miles/day you will average in the
desert.  If you don't have a reasonable idea of how many miles you will
do per day in the desert, you aren't ready for this hike.
- Things will go wrong.  Badly wrong.  So wrong you will wish you could
bail out.  But you're days from town, so you can't.  So then you figure
out a workaround, or change your technique to adapt, or just get over
them.  This is part of the fun!

  -=Town Food