[pct-l] (no subject)

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:12:33 CDT 2018

"So basically that's what this has all come down to?? To get a certificate
or some kind of award for thru hiking the AT or the PCT?? I would argue
that anyone out there doing it for an award or some kind of certificate
shouldn't be out there in the first place.? The hike in and of itself is
its own reward.? I've always thought thru hikers were people who thru hiked
for the love of it and the way I see it you shouldn't need a pat on the
back for something you love to do.?? It's not a profession or a job, or an
academic achievement ", Dave

You know Dave,
I did not put in for the Triple Crown Award even though I did achieve that
feat.
Against closures on the CDT too.
You make a good point.
Those were my reasons too.

But years on..
I wish I could have gone to that ceremony in Washington state.
Shake Yogi's hand, see Billygoat, comiserate with trail buddies.
It is like a funeral; not for the dead, but for the survivors.
Big hugs to everyone.
In a good place now 9 years from the days in the Sierra south of Tahoe
along the PCT.
Still hurts a bit to talk about that beautiful life.
The possibilities I realized for myself.
The pain I felt for myself and those that fell down along the way.
The gratitude for generosity I can never repay, even if I try, to those
that helped me.

I am still completely screwed up from the trail.
Don't carry a fully loaded pack with "going to Canada gear" anymore.
But the trail haunts my life in good and bad ways everyday.
I say; go get that award.
If I had the money at the time, and had conquered my reservations about it.
I'd have that award.
But more importantly; the chance to thank a small group of folks that
helped me.
-iceaxe