[pct-l] Trail magic

Susan Virnig susanvirnig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 13:08:59 CDT 2018

Dear Hikers,

As a section hiker from Spokane, I had never heard of Coppertone.  One day I was backpacking between the two paved roads leading down to Bucks Lake.  Someone walking by me mentioned getting root beer floats — my favorite since childhood! — and I assumed they meant they were going to head down to the resort.  OH MY GOSH!!!  I was stunned to come out at Bucks Summit into the shade, with chairs to sit down on, water and fruit, and great company while I waited for my root beer float.  Such a delight!  As a solo hiker in my 60s, it was a the biggest morale booster I’ve had in many a hiking day.  Thank you, Coppertone!

In the late 70s/early 80s I section hiked WA; then did OR between ’02-’09, often leading backpacks for local backpacking groups; and have been working on CA in the meantime.  The kindness of official and unofficial trail angels — especially Are-We-There-Yet? — but so many others, who gave me a safe ride while hitching, offered a slice of watermelon where the road crossed a major highway on a 105 degree day, and so much more, continues to fill my heart with gratitude.

Thanks to all, known and unknown, for how you have benefitted my life, and my PCT hikes.

—Susan from Spokane—Sunshine