[pct-l] A side note on Bear Canisters

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:18:15 CDT 2018

When we were hiking the PCT in '15 we came upon a back country ranger in
the north part of Yosemite.  The ranger stopped and asked if we had a bear
canister.  We said yes and he asked if he could check.  We let him and he
just knocked on the side of my pack.  I ask him if he had one and he
knocked on his bear container through his pack.  About this time another
thru-hiker came along.  This was a hiker we had never seen before nor did
we see him again.  The ranger asked him if he had a bear canister, he said
that he would not answer that question and that he would not let the ranger
check his pack.  That doing so was illegal search and seizure and he hiked
on.  He said this in a very belligerent manner.  Not very becoming. After
the hiker was gone, I asked the ranger about this.  He told us that it was
true; he could not force us to let him look in our packs, unless he had
cause.  He also said that even if he had cause he would think twice about
it.  He was by himself miles from any help.  Not a good situation to put
himself into.  Although he could sit near our camp and watch to see if we
pulled out a canister.

Another thing the ranger told us was that almost every bear canister had
been busted open by some bears in Yosemite park.  The bears had figured
out, if the roll the canister away and push it over a 200-300' cliff it
would burst open and they could then eat the food.

I'm not saying anyone should use this tactic, but it is something to
remember.  Also, canisters are only needed to store food overnight.  You do
not see day hikers carrying them.  That is why most thru-hikers on the CDT
do not carry a canister when they hike through Rocky Mountain National
Park.  You can either hike the 22 miles route through the park or take the
3 miles alternate through it.

The Ravens
PCT '96, '15
CDT '17