[pct-l] Couples Thru Hiking

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:39:06 CDT 2018

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 2:46 AM John Papini <jtpapini at icloud.com> wrote:

> What else? Should we look into some kind of two way radio?

So many couples, and larger groups, have gone hiking in wilderness without
the need for a radio for instant communications between hikers that I just
don't think anyone really needs one now. Instead, I'd look into a Garmin
InReach which will serve you much better if you have an emergency far away
from communications and others that can go summon help. It will also give
family and friends a tremendous amount of peace of mind. You might have
questions about "what if we get seperated and the other person needs the
InReach?" or "What if the battery goes dead?", but it would be more useful
in an emergency than the radios would be, because the radios only work to
reach out to someone if someone you can reach is listening on the same
channel/frequency and the other settings you might be using at the moment.
The InReach will almost always get a message out in an emergency (i can
only authoritatively say "almost always" because we cannot plan our
emergencies, can we?).

I am a licensed amateur radio operator, and I'm not gonna tell someone not
to being a radio? I personally think a good whistle for each of you in case
you get seperated and/or lost is an essential thing, and no batteries to
worry about.

Just my opinion. Worth less than you paid for it.

--
Luce Cruz