[pct-l] digestive upsets

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:42:08 CDT 2018

I've been hiking apart from parents since the late 60s. mostly in the
Sierra and Washington cascades and Rockies.  I have only treated water
with iodine if the source was a lake or felt wrong.  I never got
giardia.  Until this summer when I hiked for a couple weeks in the
Collegiates in Colorado.  I religiously treated the water because of the
presence of cattle at almost all creek headwaters in the Rockies,(hiking
the CDT near Lake City is a good example - every spring has its little
herd of cattle) except for a spring I thought was ok.  Maybe it was bad
hygiene, but I choose to think it was the spring.  I took flagyl and it
was gone in three days.

I remember when the water filter craze hit.  Even then it seemed like
corporations were creating a market by use of fear - fear of giardia.
Now it seems like "common wisdom" and normal to filter water.
Apparently some people are "carriers" of giardia and can spread it.  My
hiking buddies so accused me.  Now I know I'm not after having gotten
it.  Almost 50 years of backpacking, seldom treating water, my luck ran
out.

I'm still not going to carry a filter in the mountains of the West, and
will seldom use iodine.

Jeff...