[pct-l] What happened?

gary at hbfun.org gary at hbfun.org
Tue Dec 10 12:46:23 CST 2019

On 10.12.2019 10:11, JimLBanks at verizon.net wrote:

> And everyone on the list should make a post just acknowledging that you
> are
> on the list and then maybe we can revitalize it with some relevant and
> informative posts.
>

> I-Beam

Well, I-Beam, since you asked...

All we did this year was a 40 mile section from Horseshoe Meadows to
Olancha Pass, SOBO. I needed to fill in the short gap between that
saddle where most folks leave the PCT to climb Olancha Peak and Death
Canyon. Three friends joined me.

We did it in August, expecting to have this all to ourselves. On the
contrary, we ran into a lot of thruhikers headed SOBO to Kennedy
Meadows, having skipped the Sierra earlier. We must have seen at least a
dozen. Plus one cowboy nursing a sick cow at Diaz Meadow.

No problems with water. It did get hot after getting over Olancha Pass,
though.

The southern southern Sierra is my favorite hiking and backpacking spot,
it's just beautiful.

Gary