[pct-l] California Section E

imscotty at aol.com imscotty at aol.com
Fri Dec 13 12:15:45 CST 2019

Hello PCT-L,
I am a PCT section hiker.   I typically hike for three-weeks per year.  This past year I left off in June in Agua Dulce.  That California summer sun really gives my pale New England skin a beating, so I was happy to stop there on a 100 degree day.  I thought I might head out after Christmas to do the one section I could reasonably knock off in the winter, Aqua Dulce to Tehachapi.  Would also like to push on to do Section F to Walker Pass, although it looks doubtful I will have enough time.
So my questions are:
Looks like temps can get to just below freezing this time of year, so I am thinking my 20 degree bag would be adequate?
I do not expect more than a few inches of snow at the higher elevations on these sections, but please tell me if I am wrong.
Looks like my biggest problem will be water and unmaintained caches this time of year, but in the cooler temperatures I expect to be using less water.
Does anyone know the status of Hikertown in January?
Looks like I missed my chance to stay at Casa-de-Luna.  :(
Still trying to figure out how to get from Tehachapi to a major airport.  If I hike to Walker Pass, I think the bus that passes through there runs year round?
As you can see, I am still in the planning stages.  Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Scott