[pct-l] advice on sections D, E, F

Arthur Cimento artcimento at msn.com
Tue Feb 5 00:03:04 CST 2019

Hi Susan

I've section hiked C,D,E, and F three or four years ago. Almost all of it was in the late-March to early-May timeframe, so here are my answers based on what I experienced:

1) Highway 2 is well-traveled (relatively speaking) but there are really no services along that stretch. Trailhead parking (eg, Mt Baden Powell) was busy. However, if starting section D, why not use Cajon Pass - I started at the Best Western, who let me leave my car there for the hike.
2) I think all of C, D, E and F will be snow free in the time frame you're planning. Looking at my pictures, there was only a few snow patches along the high sections of C, which would not be of concern for any experienced hiker. On the contrary, some of these sections are very hot even by that time frame (C out of Whitewater, E through the Mojave) and you would want to get them done certainly before May.
3) Agua Dulce sets you up for E (see above)
4) I didn't see the pack in these sections until May. I did see the random thru hiker frequently enough. Parts of Section D close to highway 2 get a lot of day hikers as does  Deep Canyon in C. Section F was very lonely - I saw only two other people in the 6 days I was on that section and there aren't many road crossings. Of course, more thru hikers are starting earlier so this may have changed.
5) Water caches were hit and miss - some owners said they were surprised that someone was at their cache that early. Section F requires careful water management - I self cached at two road crossings and I was glad I did. The springs in F are terrible.

As I'm sure you know, each year is different. You can probably get an idea of the snow pack by checking conditions at the Big Bear and Wrightwood ski areas (section D runs along the top of the latter, and the high points of C are roughly at the same elevation as Big Bear).

Regards,
Art