[pct-l] JUST KIDS....Taking Chance

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jun 2 08:01:25 CDT 2019

JMT Record Holder Reinhold wrote: Those were the times before "REI & the ULTRA LIGHT REVOLUTION" when only "Hard Core
 Mountain Men" like, Switchback and Reinhold, dared to venture into the wilderness hauling everything they needed to survive anything mother nature might throw at them in huge steel frame packs and bears and mountain lions were nervous. Switchback the Trail Pirate replies: It is interesting that down at the trail in late April I saw lots of hikers headed north.  It was fantastic.  I was so proud of them.  Many were from other countries too.  But I could tell in 5 seconds if they were really pros on the trail or victims of the latest trail fashion plate advertising and group think.  I went over to the Warner Springs hiker camp ground too.  Some vendors were selling stuff to hikers there.  Unfortunately, too many hikers are not prepared for the trail like they should be.  This is physically, emotionally, and gear wise.  When I did my annual hiker seminar at the old BIG Kickoff, I tried to cover some of these things.  Now there is no way to seminar with these folks.  I might have to give up riding my trike too, since my legs bother me too much.  I DEMAND A LIFE RECOUNT!  Only kidding.  I have had a great life and the trail was a wonderful part of it.