[pct-l] Sections B,C,D and F thru J

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Tue Jun 18 21:52:51 CDT 2019

Dear PCT Folks,

Need your advice.  I’m a section hiker, having done about 1800 miles, with
the sections from Paradise Valley Cafe to Agua Dulce & Tehachapi Pass to
Echo Lakes left to walk.

These are my available times — July 15 to August 1 (or possibly 11) and
August 29 to September 23.  Questions for you:

Second half of July
1.  I’d like to hike south from Echo Lakes to Tuolumne Meadows, with time
for a zero day & re-supply at a friend’s place near Sonora Pass.  But I
don’t want to be post-holing and fording dangerous streams.  If possible,
I’d also like to avoid the height of the mosquito season.  (The advantages
of section hiking!)  With the snowpack this year, is that too early to hike
Sections J and I?

2.  If it is too early, what about starting at Paradise Valley Cafe and
heading north?  Will it just be crazy hot with no water?  How about
Tehachapi Pass to Kennedy Meadows during that time?  Also crazy hot and no
water? Where would you recommend I spend those 2-3 weeks?

End of August to end of September
3.  Start south from Echo Lakes and go as far as I can?

4.  Or start north from Paradise Valley Cafe and go as far as I can?

Very much appreciate any suggestions you might have!

Happy Trails,
Sunshine (Susan from Spokane)