[pct-l] south from Tehachapi

Paint YW paintyourwagonhikes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 20:10:01 CDT 2019

I'll take- What is the answer to question # One for $200 Alex?

If you are going into LA, there is a Metrolink rail line that can be taken
to Lancaster.

https://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/?type=station&originId=180&destinationId=102&weekend=0
(There
is an initial bus ride from LAX to Union Station of approx. 35 minutes
duration.)

>From Lancaster, the ESTA bus runs north on the 395 corridor, and stops in
Mojave, giving you access to the PCT about 12 miles west on HWY 58. There
is a fine list of trail angels circulating in the Tehachipi area, that
might be obtained from the Tehachipi Chamber of Commerce, wherein you could
perhaps, petition for a ride to the trailhead.

https://www.estransit.com/routes-schedule/395-routes/mammoth-lakes-to-lancaster/

Also, a commuter bus runs back and forth between Mojave and Tehachipi, and
it might stop at the PCT TH (mile # 568) along HWY 58. (Lancaster to
Bakersfield)

http://kerntransit.org/routes-and-schedules/100-bakersfield-lancaster/

>>> (Reservation/scheduling required in advance of a stop at the PCT
trailhead on HWY 58.)

Also, FWIW, there's trailhead access on Willow Springs Road, about 12 miles
south by southeast of Tehachipi, and HWY 58, which is mile #558 of the PCT,
that connects secondarily to HWY 58 via Cameron Canyon Road, which is mile
#568 of the PCT. The trail parallels this road for about 10 miles as it
follows along on the ridge to the southeast.

Another way to the trail is by way of a bus route out of LA, and into
Bakersfield, then the commuter bus to Mojave.

(LA to Bakersfield)

https://locations.greyhound.com/bus-routes/destination/Bakersfield-ca/los-angeles-ca#fare-search

(Bakersfield to Lancaster)

https://locations.greyhound.com/bus-routes/destination/mojave-ca/bakersfield-ca#fare-search

An alternative option is to get to Lancaster, and then contact someone at
Hikertown (Bob is the caretaker and Richard and Roberta Skaggs are the
owners) to inquire about a ride to Hikertown, and then hike south from
there (mile # 518) into the Angeles NF.

*** Personally, I would go to Kennedy Meadows-south (mile # 702) and strike
out from there for an even more epic SOBO hike.

The ESTA bus coming out of Lancaster stops at Pearsonville, on the 395.
It's about 2 miles walk north to 9 Mile Canyon Road, that heads west up
into the mountains and connects/turns into Sherman Pass Road. Kennedy Mdws.
is approx. 25 miles off the 395. One could call the KM's General Store and
inquire about a ride, or contact trail angel Tom to see if he is available,
or hitchhike to the area.

Other options-

Fly into LAX, then take a shuttle flight to Mammoth Lakes, then take the
ESTA bus south to ???

Or fly out of LAX into Ridgecrest-Inyokern, then take the ESTA bus either
north or south to ???

Lots of options Sunshine!

Have a great hike. If you are ever in the area of mile # 878.7 NOBO, stop
by V V R (Vermilion Valley Resort) and say hello. I've worked my way into a
ferry boat captain position on Thomas Alvin Edison Lake, between Selden
Pass and Silver Pass.

Best regards,

Paint