[pct-l] Trevor's Eternal Trail

bobandshell97 bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 13 10:12:19 CDT 2020

It's been so long since I have posted this may not even make it to the list.

All of us have memories of our own traverse(s) along Apache Peak.  I think
I can visualize exactly where Trevor fell.  My 2nd time across there was
just
after the KO about 15 years ago and there were suddenly encountered
icy patches on the suddenly steeply-sloping treadway with a big suddenly
noticed huge drop-off right there.  I was suddenly so scared I froze for a
minute before slowly inching across. In short... a sudden lot of
"suddenlys."
I had instep crampons with me, but the trail had been dry and I could see
the trail was dry beyond.  Stop and put the insteps on for about 10 yards
and then remove them immediately?  Of course I should have... but didn't.
We all take calculated risks at times.  I was lucky... and potentially
stupid.

But the main reason I'm posting is that on my first time across that very
stretch on Apache Peak in 1985, my partner and I began smelling a truly
horrible smell.  It filled the entire basin to the right and was so foul you

could hardly breathe.  No ice then and we hurried past.  A couple days
later we ran into a ranger who told us a horse packer had crossed there
several weeks earlier and one of his horses had slipped and fallen to its
death far below.  Even a four-footed (4WD), otherwise sure-footed animal
had trouble at that very spot.

Paint YW, forgive my quirky sense of humor:  Your suggested posted
admonition of " Warning to all who enter!" instantly reminded me of
Dante's "Lasciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'intrate" (Abandon hope, ye
who enter here).  You know... something stronger, to really catch the
hiker's attention!  :)   -  Dr. Bob