[pct-l] Town closures

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:54:20 CDT 2020

The way you reach hikers is exactly the same way your reach anyone else: close all of the hotels and motels*. If they don’t want transients in their county, they close their facilities. This is exactly what other countries have done (see: South Africa). It’s nice to “ask” and for a while that looked like it was working for, say, Sweden, but we now know that doesn’t work.

As much as I’d like to think of hikers as being “good” people, at the end of they day they represent an increasingly broad swath of the population. This is great for diversity, but it really isn’t reasonable to expect them to behave differently than the average.

We have a government for a reason. Put it to work for you.

Cheers,
Armstrong

*Clearly allow some exception for necessary travel. I’m not writing policy here, just illustrating the broad strokes that are working elsewhere.

PS You will still need to reach trail angels that might bend over backward to help, but the towns know who those people are.
PPS Santa Cruz solved this problem quite easily: if you’re caught in public and your DL doesn’t show an address in the county, $1000 fine.