[pct-l] Super Secrets of Backpacking Quiz Two

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Apr 25 13:50:08 CDT 2020

Nancy wrote: Question #1 answer : sauntering.  In Wisconsin, my home State, the National Ice Age Trail Alliance has available as a resource:The Art of Sauntering: Games and Activities (courtesy of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy)Re. the second question I would have to guess the answer is hiking.  However, I do not why he did not like the word. I presume because it indicates a set pace and objective of reaching a fixed point as the main objective.Switchback the Trail Pirate replies: Spoken like a true lover of the trail.  Yes, John Muir liked to use the word sauntering.  I think it is a great mind game on the trail to relax your pace on those long stretches.  "Remember, Switchback, you are sauntering the trail and not hiking it."  And your guess is a good one.  Mr. Muir did not like the word "hiking", since it made him think of a march or military exercise.  Another mind game I like is saying to myself, "Switchback, do not embrace the trail.  Let the trail embrace you.  Get into its rhythm."  The idea is not to bring your city and human civilization/expectations to the trail, but let yourself become part of the Rhythm of the Trail -- it is a marathon and not a race.  The sooner you do this, the more at peace you will be out there -- it is your real home.  The miles will roll by like a dream --- as long as you stay hydrated, pace yourself, and you are in decent hiking condition.