[pct-l] Hi all

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 16:07:19 CDT 2020

Hi Marmot,

First, the CDTA issued a new mapset this spring which encompasses some significant rerouting principally in New Mexico and Montana. Ley still updates his maps, but there really has been a passing of the guard, I believe. I think that’s the set that you’ll want to have. You can download for free, although they would appreciate a donation.

As far as navigation is concerned, i asked the CDT 2020 Facebook for you earlier this spring. The universal answer was Guthook. I really didn’t want to rely on a phone app, but downloaded it, watched a few Youtube videos and came away thoroughly impressed. It’s truly amazing. I’m past military and always have been a map and compass guy, but let’s face it, the maps the size of Half Mile's are pretty useless for shooting back azmuths if you get lost. Also, of course there’s en some significant shifting of magnetic north recently.

So, it’s pretty much Guthooks. Phone in airplane mode and an external battery pack. There are some fairly (relatively speaking) lightweight ones out there. Some searching will find light weight lightning plugs and short cord that mate with the necessary adapters. The downside is you really have to protect the phone so an upgraded case if you don’t have one would be a good idea.

Sadly, this means electronics has made the Big Four into the Big Five, as far as accounting for pack weight is concerned.

Also, let me recommend the Garmin InReach Mini. 2.+ ounces. Not only will it send the SOS, but you can message the outside from anywhere, receive weather reports tailored to your position and coordinate with SAR if it comes to that.

So, you still using Esbit? Still my stove of choice

Gourmet