[pct-l] Marmot

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:08:34 CDT 2020

Just a thought on Bear Creek waypoints being off.  Yes they can and will
be.  No one is out there every year updating them.  That being said
Guthook's app will be off also.  Guthook does not go out and replot
waypoints for every trail they have for their app.  They just use someone
else's waypoints.  For the CDT Guthook uses Bear Creeks data.  It is quite
obvious because in 2017 Guthook's waypoints began have Bear Creek numbering
in the info, ie. 14_175MC.  So if Bear Creek data is off Guthook's app will
be off.  I think Guthook picked up Halfmile's waypoint several years ago.
Just remember Guthook is an app that uses someone else's data and then
charges a lot for the privilege.  That being said we still used that app on
the CDT and we made it from Mexico to Canada.

A side comment on the app working in areas beyond the waypoints.  In 2017
Montana had over 1,000,000 acres burn.  We had hundreds of miles of
reroutes around the fires.  In town I would have the app download maps
around the area we were going to hike. This way I was still able to use the
app and follow the roads around the fires.