[pct-l] Marmot

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:28:44 CDT 2020

Don't feel bad. I didn't know about "the class of 1977" until 2001 either!
I mean, I knew a bunch of people with whom we had crossed paths -- and, in
some cases, spent considerable time together -- on a long hike in 1977 but
I never really thought of the *class* as an entity, and never thought I'd
see those folks again. That all changed in 2001 when I saw a message from
Strider on PCT-L. We reconnected and then started chasing down others until
we had us a movement.

Regarding your sage advice to youth: Absolutely! With one quarter left
before graduation, we knew if we didn't hike in '77 we'd soon have jobs,
homes, spouses, kids, responsibilities -- and no chance of a thru hike. Our
parents were mortified, thinking we were dropping out just shy of
graduating, but we convinced them that we had to do this now, and that we'd
finish that last quarter after we returned, which we did. I'm glad you were
able to do it on the installment plan.