[pct-l] Deep Breath —Diversity

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:19:08 CDT 2020

This subject has just recently been very slightly addressed by the three major trail support organizations and the long distance hikers community in general at the two yearly Gatherings. Please everyone don’t run and hide from the discussion. My hope is that in every section of our society it is examined. We are slow to talk about race and racism and how it manifests in our sport. In this country ,inability to self reflect and tendency  to run away and hide is well established. There’s a lot of talk about welcoming everyone. But results are what matters. There are finally Triple Crowners who are of some descent that is not Northern European. Finally the board of Aldhawest looks more diverse. That to me is a great beginning.
The blog that I posted a link to was a first person account of one person’s true experience. Breaking this down into good people vs bad people is missing the point. We are talking about a situation that is systemic. This systemic problem is well documented and because of my skin color, I benefit. To say anything else is to be uninformed and have my head in the sand The saddest lies are the ones I tell myself. I have to bring myself up short at every turn and examine how and what I can do about it. If I’m not a part of the solution I am part of the problem.
In the early years, there were fewer women hikers and it was even considered that long distance hiking was beyond our ability.   Of course ridiculous, but we had to deal with those stupid attitudes. Now it is passed time to work on the inclusion problem that makes the hiking and and long distance hiking world so narrow.
It’s a beginning to read the experiences of people of color out on the trail.
All the best
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone