[pct-l] footwear

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Thu Mar 19 09:44:35 CDT 2020

Getting back to business, hikers occasionally comment on my Altra Olympus
trail running shoes and Dirty Girl gaiters.

I tell them the last time I checked - several years ago - Altras and
Dirty Girls were part of the outfit of PCT through hikers.    I've never
through hiked the PCT, but if you get an outfit you can be a through hiker too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fYCvA-G9Iw

It was Altra Lone Peaks at that time.    I tried a pair and decided the
intimate trail feel was more of an issue than the slight extra weight, so
based on some advice from this list, switched to Altra Olympus which are
similar but with thicker soles, though still zero-drop.

That was then.    Has the herd consensus moved on these days?

Here are the websites if you need them

https://www.altrarunning.com         you can get them from REI too

https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/		they play well with Altras

And more to the moment -

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/19/recreate-in-place-how-people-are-safely-getting-outside-to-exercise-in-the-coronavirus-age/

And the alternative to through hiking, bits and pieces -

http://pcnst.oakapple.net/