[pct-l] footwear

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Thu Mar 19 15:49:09 CDT 2020

On my thru-hike in 2016, I used the Lone Peaks, and I did find the lack
of padding to be an issue with the factory insoles in rocky areas like
the High Sierras and areas with lava rock.  Actually, the factory
insoles were so thin and squishy I wouldn't consider them appropriate
for more than weekend trips.

Certain aftermarket insoles were better than others -- green Superfeet
were okay, some kind of cork thing I got in Shasta City was bad, but the
grey "Sole"-brand insoles, were terrific.  Even Oregon lava rock was not
much of an issue with those.

I'm not sure how much that affected weight -- perhaps my Lone Peaks plus
aftermarket insoles were heavier than an Olympus, I've never used the
later.  But I was very pleased with the results, and was not about to
mess with a system that give me no blisters at reasonable weight.

Maybe I'll try Olympus as my next pair, but Altra seems to consistently
do some things wrong (e.g. the toe always delaminates), so I'd be
suspicious that any factory insole from them would be inadequate for
long distances.

  -=Town Food