[pct-l] pctl IS ALIVE again...

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 19:59:25 CDT 2020

It's great to see a couple posts on this almost defunct listserv. My
guess there are few, if any of us who are under 50 years old.

I no longer aspire to long distance hiking - I'm 67.  I was 43 when I
joined the listserv - 1995 I think it was.  I think I could work myself
back into shape, but I have lost the focus to do so.  In 2005 it took
about six weeks for me to get up to a 20 mpd average.  That was a low
snow year in Washington and I headed south.  I carried snow shoes and
left them by the side of the trail just south of Harts Pass.  I bowed to
them, and was so glad to have lost the four or five pounds.

Because of family stuff, I left the trail at Santiam Pass.  I started
north again at Burney Falls.  That lasted for a couple days.

David Hough's post about being lonely compared to being alone hit the
nail on the head.  I was hyped to hike again after dealing with the
family stuff.  I was still in shape after a month.  I have a distinct
memory of hiking 20 miles and being done at 3PM - I reached my goal for
the day.  Rather than continuing to hike, I set up camp and sat there.
I was dry camping - I had three quarts of water to carry me through the
night and morning.  AFter the family stuff I was living at my nerve's
edges.  It wasn't loneliness - it was the stark realization I was alive
and doing what I wanted, and I wasn't "comfortable" with it.  Weird.

I think there is another dimension involved in long distance hiking that
gets lost in black/white distinctions.  To be sure we feel lonely,
longing for family, mate, partner, friends.  I think that most of us
work through that to feeling alone.  That's a whole other dimension that
first time felt, makes us feel like we're an adolescent again.  Being
alone in modern day America is a space that has to be discovered,
usually by chance.

The distinction between lonely and being alone is profound.  Once worked
through, the exploration of being-alone is even more extensive, more
rife with possibility.

I know I've left a long hike - planned for a couple months - because I
felt lonely.  In an important sense, the experience "girded my loins"
and set me up to move to feeling alone, day after day.  I don't think
I've ever been comfortable being alone on the trail. But this is the
challenge, isn't it?  Being along for any length of time, apart from
internet and social media now is a real anomaly.

I haven't attempted a long distance hike - I define that as a month or
more, and that's totally personal/individual - since 2005.  15 years of
following the discussions here, and then joining the facebook groups,
mostly filled with youngsters querying about gear. It's been a couple
years since I hung out on a facebook pct group. I got the excitement,
but couldn't share it.

I have to ask myself why.  I'm retired.  I have a decent income from
social security and 401k stuff.

Why did I lose the anticipation of the opportunity to start hiking and
do so for a month or two or longer?  Sure, I had a knee replaced, the
other reamed out.  My back has been an issue for 40 years, and flames up
at awkward times.  I'm overweight, and I live in a 140 year old, balloon
framed house I tore to the studs and am rebuilding.   While ripping out
lathe and plaster last fall I pulled/tore my sartorious muscle.

Lots of reasons.  Right now I'm healthy - no structural problems or
muscle crap.

I've read Marmot's stuff for years.  She's pretty amazing - the just do
it, enjoy ethos.

I feel a bit of the anticipation, again.  Is the flutter enough???

Jeffrey Olson
Laramie, WY