[pct-l] pctl IS ALIVE again

Larry Hillberg walkinglarry at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 13:57:13 CDT 2020

I am always happy to see this come around.  I've learned a lot from this
list.

Postponing or cancelling a thru hike would be difficult and dramatic.  But
IMHO, 2020 would not be wise.  This virus is serious!  At 77, I am square
in the gun sight. My defense?  I practice distancing and cleanliness.  I
mostly stay at home.  When I go out, I assume that I have it already and so
do all who come near me.

I don't see how a thru hiker could either protect themselves or protect
others.  The logistics simply prevent it.  And I believe also that a 2020
thru hike would not allow the freedom, the adventure, or the rewards hoped
for and expected.

I did a thru hike in 2002.  The year was average, neither too much snow nor
too little.  No part of the trail was missed due to fires or weather.  300
or so started, 125 or so finished.  We all could choose between solitude
and companionship.  There was no need to flip flop.  I consider myself very
lucky.

For those who believe the opportunity will never come again, note that I
was 60 years old.  I was not the oldest to thru hike that year.  The
opportunity will come again, and if it doesn't seem right, just do it
anyway.  Pick the year and wrap your life around it.

The two rare and powerful emotions - anticipation and awe - will be
abundant whenever you hike. Choose a year when they are more likely.  It's
okay to be 10 minutes late to Canada.  Or 10 years.

But do it.

Lights Out Larry