[pct-l] Food

CClark dr_carolyn at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 15:05:21 CDT 2020

 Hi Nathan,
 For us,  going stoveless was a great choice, especially in the Northwest.  We didn't have to sit outside in the rain or cold to prepare meals.  We could just put up our tent, collapse into it, and eat dinner in bed!
We were not picky about food, so this advice might not work for everyone.  We view it as sustenance, so anything that is healthy, lightweight, and provides energy, is a win for us.
For dinners, we lived primarily on dehydrated bean flakes (pinto or black beans).  Often we'd mix in a small amount of instant mashed potatoes and a few shakes of garlic pepper, along with a good amount of home-made dehydrated string beans or spinach. (Buy bags of frozen veggies, dehydrate, and they pack down to almost nothing.) We'd add a few drops of canola oil for a balanced meal. Add water to taste, and dinner is ready instantly.
Mornings, we'd make instant coffee and nibble on energy bars.  Throughout the day we'd take 5 minute stretch breaks each 1.5 hours, and again nibble on energy bars.
Sometimes we'd have an instant oatmeal and/or dried fruit or nuts. Of course, we used a drinking tube and hydrated constantly.  We also used chocolate covered espresso beans to get ourselves up the toughest of inclines.
We tried to avoid camping next to water sources for environmental and LNT reasons.  But we did stop at every water source and drink as much as we possibly could.  We'd add a small amount of flavoring such as Gatorade or instant tea, to help us drink as much as we could while we were there.  When we moved on, we carried extra water for dinner, but usually that was only a few miles after the water source.
This strategy worked great for us, and we never once missed having a stove. Also, we didn't have much problem with critters bothering us, because our food didn't smell tempting to them.
Have fun!SoulDoctor and BoomDone

Message: 3