[pct-l] Oregon fires

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Fri Sep 11 19:53:00 CDT 2020

When I lived in Wilsonville 40+ years ago,
I knew a backpack leader whose day job was as
a meterologist.     He told me that if ever there were
a strong Chinook in a dry fall, it would be unstoppable.

And everybody talked about the Columbus Day Storm of 1962.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day_Storm_of_1962

At least it was a typhoon and the damage was from rain instead of fire.

And now they've come together - fire and wind - all over the state.
A bunch of lightning
fires from August were stable until a major dry windstorm on September 8 fanned
them.

>From what I can see, much of the PCT is east of the fires, but the area
of Mt Jefferson - Jefferson Park - Ollalie Lake has been consumed by
the Lionshead fire.    Probably the entire trail is very smoky now, even
if unburned.

Looks like the Middle Fork Feather and that amazing bridge are gone.

As has been reported, dozens of JMT hikers were stranded at VVR for several
days until they could be evacuated by helicopter.

I hope that any PCT long distance hikers still persevering have gotten the
message and persevered to safety in time.     2020 will most be remembered as
the year most of us would most like to forget.