[pct-l] water around Warner Springs

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Sun Apr 18 09:08:24 CDT 2021

Barrel Springs stil has water as of 16 Apr but it's a rusty shadow of what I
found 20 years ago.

San Ysidro Creek is running small but clear and well.

Canada Verde remains a stunning oasis after what came before.   The water does
disappear by the time you get to the highway, as usual.

Likewise Agua Caliente is dry at the highway but running at the first crossing
after the "picnic tables" which seem to now be just one table at a height for
standing, with no sitting.     The creek gets better and better at each crossing,
but I didn't have a good answer for the question of how do you tell which is
the last crossing.    You'll know after the fact.    I had an easy time hiking
southbound for the day.

The water report lists lots of down trees in the first part of section B.   They've
all been cleared as the trail is quite easy to follow now.

There were lots of hikers on the trail, and lots of gliders soaring overhead, and
occasional supersonic military aircraft.

Lots of flowers too, more than I remember from 20 years ago when I came by just
after the kickoff.     Surprising considering the bleak prospects at places like
the Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve.

There were signs up that the Snow Creek trail closure has been lifted.

David Hough