[pct-l] no progress on PCT this weekend

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Sat Aug 21 09:47:42 CDT 2021

While I was setting up a car shuttle for a one-way hike from Ebbetts to
Sonora Pass, Toiyabe NF was issuing an order closing the PCT from Sonora
Pass to Carson, so now the PCT is closed from Sonora Pass to Ashland.

There's some good reasons for that - winds gusting to 45mph along the crest
today would make any fire start a major concern.    Toiyabe thoughtfully
allowed day use of all other trails (except Tahoe Rim Trail) and overnight
camping in regular car campgrounds.

But I will be exploring parts of the Tahoe Yosemite Trail that I've never
visited, from Clark Fork or from Kennedy Meadows north.    Maybe backpacking
tomorrow night if the winds ease.   TYT is lower elevation and in this area
entirely within Stanislaus NF which so far has not issued any blanket
closures.

There's some smoke in the air but so far it seems tolerable.    The fires
are well to the north.   Highway 50 is closed, but 88, 4, and 108 are still
open.