[pct-l] section P[123] report

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Sat Jul 24 23:12:42 CDT 2021

On July 23-24 I backpacked from Gumboot trailhead to Dog Trailhead.
15 years ago this was a dayhike.    Now it's an overnight.

Trees - the trail is mostly remarkably clean.    There was one tree down
above 6000', not a barrier to man or beast.   Around 3900' there were several
trees down, one of which was a potential problem for stock - its sharp end
pointed out across the trail, next to a steep brushy canyon.    A hiker could
shimmy around, stock I don't know enough to say.

Water - Over this 18 miles there were only two spots with water near the
trail.    Burstarse Creek is barely flowing among pools that suggest water
treatement before drinking.    But it is flowing.   Nice campsites near.

Gully Spring is THE place.   2L/minute flow, lots of mud on the trail so
you don't miss it, and no more water on trail for at least 12 miles.
It's the first place in section P to meet Darlingtonia, and it's a spectacular
display.     As far as I can remember, Darlingtonia, a carnivorous plant,
is only in section P, and it may be the only carnivorous plant on the PCT.
A genuine USFS Interpretive Sign around Kangaroo Lake, further west on
section P, indicated that Darlingtonia is very particular about its locale,
and demands clean cold clear water.     So seeing it near a spring is a
good sign.

The "Disappearing Creek 150 ft" sign tempted me to investigate, but I met
a guy coming back with a full water bottle before I got far.   I don't
know how far he had to go or how difficult access was.    Nice campsites
nearby.

There were other off-trail water sources that nobody I spoke to had
investigated.    Me neither.

There were lots of family campers coming back from Seven Lakes, which is
off the PCT.   After passing their junction, I encountered few through hikers
until late afternoon - when I realized that this was the time that hikers
starting from Castle Crags would be arriving.     At 5pm it was like the
Santa Monica Freeway at that hour, at Gully Spring.    After I left a
deputy rattlesnake came out at the spring to disperse the loiterers.
Rattlers get thirsty too.

This whole trip was a scam.   Weather promised clear air but the day I started
switched to hazy and smoky through tomorrow (Sunday).    But the wind shifted
overnight and alleviated some of the smoke.

David Hough