[pct-l] Fwd: end of an era

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 23:57:32 CDT 2021

Hey Marmot,

I had a few weeks free time this summer, as our big trips had all been
canceled due to Covid, and I jumped back on the PCT at Sonora Pass and
hiked about 350 miles to Fire Fly's place at Old Station, and I have to
say, the young folks and the older ones, were a wonderful bunch.  There
were a few wasteoids hanging around the hostel in South Shore Tahoe, but
for the most part, the trail was populated with a motivated, often highly
educated, and fun bunch of thru hikers.  I really enjoyed meeting them,
camping with them and getting to know them.  Drugs were not the central
thing for most, and living in the beauty of the trail was.  Of the older
crowd, I hiked with the usual, doctors, lawyers, teachers, nurses, etc.
 and with the younger set, young men just out of the service, and lots of
young folks just out of college, and quite a few who had decided on a
nomadic life for a while.  I had been ready to be unimpressed with the
pack, but found myself really liking the vast majority of whom I met.  So
maybe the PCT hasn't totally gone the way of the unmotivated, drugged out
hikers you met on the AT.  At least my limited 350 mile sample left me
thinking so.  And it was so nice to see Georgi on her home turf!

Nice to hear from ya,

Shroomer