[pct-l] pct_96-12a at yahoo.com

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 15:27:48 CDT 2021

It is true that Guthook's app is an improvement on Halfmiles app, but
Guthooks app uses Halfmiles data.  Halfmile does update his GPS data so you
can use it in Gaia GPS, TopoMaps, MotionX GPS, etc.

Halfmiles paper maps were last updated in 2019 and they can be found on the
internet archive sites.

Whenever I go out on the PCT, this summer included, I use the 2019 maps and
2015 app.  The trail does not change that much.  In fact, it almost never
changes.  The last few big changes were the reroute to the new Suiattle
bridge and the reroute north of Sierra Buttes.  The first was opened in
2015 and it is obvious where to hike.  As for the Sierra Buttes reroute, I
like the high trail and would probably take it over dropping down to the
lakes, but your choice may vary.

As for the tent site locations, They vary between Guthook and Halfmile.
Sometimes they match up and other times they markout different locations. I
ignore them all.  I stealth camp wherever I am, when it gets dark, except
where NP regulations prohibit it, ie: The Great Smokies, Yellowstone, and
Glacier.

Papa Raven
PCT 96, 15
CDT 17