[at-l] Snow in mountains around Hot Springs?

Dennis Gass dennis at katom.com
Fri Dec 8 10:23:08 CST 2006

Anyone near Hot Springs with an update on amount of snow on Max Patch
and mountains from there to Hot Springs?

Thanks to everyone that has emailed on and off list with advice for my
trip next week.  Several have asked for updates/trip plans...so here
goes.

We're down to two options.  Ruled out Grayson Highlands for this trip,
hopefully soon though.  Plan is to leave Atlanta on Tuesday, get back
Sunday.

Option 1 is Max Patch to Hot Springs.  Something about freezing your a@@
off on the trail with the motivation of a hot tub and then a beer at
Paddler's Pub just sounds good. Only concern is the last time I was at
Max Patch last February it was whiteout conditions.  Weather forecast
for the valley is good, just need to figure out how much snow the
mountains got.  I like snow...as long as I can be in it for an hour then
get back in my house or a lodge.   I don't really want to backpack in it
this trip.

Option 2 was thrown in by my son, who is in the middle of taking final
exams in college for the first time.  "Dad, we can just do something
close to home and a lot easier, I am exhausted"  He suggested doing a
section in North Georgia, probably starting at Unicoi Gap and going
North two days, then back to the car.