[at-l] Weekend trip report from NC's Standing Indian

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 14:23:40 CST 2006

Over the weekend, I hiked a nice loop from Standing
Indian Campground over Standing Indian and Albert
Mountain, back to Glassmine Gap and down the beautiful
blue-blazed Long Branch Trail.  We had a thick frost
Sunday morning, which made a pretty white cap on
Standing Indian as viewed from Albert's summit.

Lots of grouse to spook you in the early morning.  All
the leaves are off the trees now.  Trail was in good
shape with just a few minor blowdowns.

Tripped over several (too) large scout troop groups.
There must've been at least five large (over 12
individuals) groups hiking in this one section.  It's
too bad; oversized groups like that are hard on the
camping and shelter areas.

Met one southbounder, Riles, closing in on the finish.
 Apparently, there are about 30 of them right behind
him.  It would be a good time of the year to do some
trail magic on the southern NC and GA AT for those
tired and cold sobos.

Nocona