[at-l] GG packs

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 1 13:21:41 CDT 2006

At 10:20 AM 10/1/2006 -0700, vera wrote:

>*** Rafe,
>   I love 'em. Own the older Ki (women's pack) and love the ability to
> customize belt size and shoulder strap length. You can switch them out
> very easily. This should allow the salesperson at the store to fit it
> specifically to you right there with correct straps/belt and you wont'
> have to pay to change them out. Plus I was able to take the medium frame
> (I have small torso) and adjust it down so much that I could use it
> instead of going to the smaller size. It is a little heavy (4lbs) but it
> fits really well and most of my other stuff is lite so my weight w/o
> food  & water is still at about 12 lbs...I am still cutting probably
> going to go to tarp/tent or hammock and switch out again my sleeping pad
> (anyone want to buy a used 1 time women's thermi pro lite 4?) I like the
> G4 pack and may still buy one for summer when pack weight is lower anyway.
>
>   Several customers of mine (men) used the Nimbus which is a tad bigger
> but the VT is well liked also if it fits you.. I know they have
> redesigned some in the last couple of years but the guys at GG are great...

Thanks for the post, vera.

There aren't really any decent ultralight outfitters
near Boston that I know of.  Too bad.  Maybe up
in the boonies of NH, but not here in the burbs.

So far it looks like I can save around 6 lbs just
changing out pack, tent, sleeping pad, kitchen,
and water bottles.

Hopefully another lb. or two from small tweaks
elsewhere, eg., clothing selection, etc.  That
should get me down to maybe 15 lbs base wt.

This assumes eventual mastery of alcohol
cooking technology and ability to sleep on
an Evazote "egg crate" pad.  And all this new
sh*t needs to be field-tested.

The good news is that I've shed 16 lbs of
body weight over the last 2 months -- partly
owing to my little hike.

I'll report back when it's all settled out -- a
couple months from now <grin.>

rafe b
aka terrapin