[at-l] Newb on the loose - the questions begin

Logan Park park at vt.edu
Mon Oct 23 15:33:14 CDT 2006

I'll also recommend a Design Salt silk mummy-shaped liner.  Worked super
well on my 2004 thru in terms of warmth-to-carry-weight ratio and for
keeping the bag cleaner.  By the end of a thru, everything's at least a
little gross, though.  =)  Marsha is 100% right about getting to a ruck
this winter.   The advice I got from the 2004 PA Ruck saved my hike!!
You'll have a blast, promise.

Also, why are you planning an early March departure?  More snow means
more work/calories.  Of course, snow hiking is a blast, so I'm not
knocking it.  Alcohol stoves can be slightly more temperature-finicky
than gas stoves, but I'd never carry anything other than alcohol except
for pure dead-of-winter car camping.

Serious about the Ruck though.

Hoplite