[at-l] Someone to hike with Jerry!

Kent Gardam kent_gardam at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 4 13:39:28 CDT 2006

Twilight.  Everyday it seemed to come a blessed moment earlier. It was that time of the day when the checkerboard next to the stove at Charlie and Irma's general store had been folded up and there were no more kings to be crowned.  That old phone finally stopped ringing.  No more calls about that new gingham pattern that everyone was so wrought up about and whether Betty Sue would look exactly like Charlie May at the harvest dance, or whether the shipment of the ten-penny nails had come in or even whether glucosamine would work on the old sow, Elizabeth, who was having so much trouble getting around after her fourteenth litter, this one of fourteen piglets.  Now what were the odds against that?

  Irma had managed to bake up a batch of oatmeal blueberry cookies during a slow period just after lunch.   It never ceased to amaze Charlie how she could create those crisp little nuggets of blueberry-dom inside those cookies.  Everyone else who tried ended up with mushy purple spots in their cookies.  A claim to fame, it was a secret skill that Irma would probably take to her grave.

  Charlie flipped over the "open" sign hanging in the front door and thought once again about how he needed to paint that door one day before winter, then grabbed a particularly well matched pair of those oatmeal treats and wandered out back down the path towards the stream.  Just where it babbled past the old rotten stump and over those black and silver rocks that didn't look like any of the others in the county, a little pool had formed again.  The beavers had been continuing with their never-ending chore of trying to monopolize the watersupply for their own use.  Just there in the shaft of sunlight, what was that splash?  Again, a little to the right.   Yup, the trout were back, it must be fall again in the high country.  Won't be long now, Charlie thought, and we'll be seeing Mr. Paws, that old black bear who so loved his trout.  Maybe I should leave him one of Irma's oatmeal blueberry surprises.

Marsha <atrailhiker at adelphia.net> wrote:
  .....but he should have known that cutting damp grass with a dull bladed
lawnmower could would most definitely produce an ugly lawn, and probably
leave damaged spots.........that would take a long time to regrow.......

Marsha
"StarLyte" .......I'll toast my wine glass at 2:00 p.m........