[at-l] Rank of fuels for alcohol stoves

Michael Henderson michaelh at ospreypacks.com
Wed Sep 6 15:39:43 CDT 2006

Hotdog writ:

>My favorite is:
>
>1) Heet (yellow bottle). It worked a little better than:
>2) Denatured alcohol (but this still works great).
>3) Single malt scotch heats from within
>(Glen Morangie & Glen Fittich (I can't spell), both 18 years old).
>
>Used all three liberally on my 03 thruhike.

As long as the Heet or fuel line antifreeze is some kind of alcohol and not
a petroleum distillate, it will work fine.

I mistakenly used a petroleum distillate when nothing else was available.
On the PCT in WA at a waterless camp.  Luckily it was cold so lighting it
was not an explosion.  I managed to boil some water before the whole stove
began to roar like a jet, the pot was instantly black from soot, and I dared
not remove it in case the flame thrower started a fire in the trees above.
As it was a one-pot meal, it wasn't long before it burned out.  Can't
remember what I wrapped the pot in to pack it the next morning, but it was a
grimey mess.  Stove was a brass Trangia, and it survived just fine - the
soot was on the pot.

So don't use a petroleum distillate.

My experience is that Heet may be a little better than denatured.

Isopropyl is fine, hard to light when it is cold, low heat output, and a
little sooty because of the water content.  Get the highest percentage you
can find (lower water).  I have seen 90%, 70%, and 50%.  It was 70% that I
used.  Had to buy that at Tuolumne Meadows - there was no denatured and the
Chevron had no Heet or similar.  But it got me to Tahoe.  I'd sleep with a
little bottle in my sleeping bag so it was warm enough to light easily in
the morning.

Drinking alcohols will also work - I've used rum and vodka.  151 or
Everclear will be the best, higher alcohol content.

Glen Fiddich will work just fine.  I think it tastes worse than the feet it
was used to wash before it was bottled, so I'll burn that anytime.  Glen
Morangie is much better on the palate.  My favorites are Oban and Laphroaig
- I'll have my meals cold and crunchy before I use those as fuel.

Felix arriving in a couple hours.
Just thought I'd post after an 18-month lurk...
Ke Kaahawe