[at-l] NY-NJ-PA photos and diary posted

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Mon Sep 25 08:26:25 CDT 2006

At 08:56 AM 9/25/2006 -0400, Sly wrote:

>In a message dated 9/23/2006 10:12:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>rafeb at speakeasy.net writes:
>Hey, I managed to save 7 oz by upgrading my
>digicam.  (old: Canon G2, new: Canon A620.)

>I've been looking at the A620, how do you like it?

So far so good.  It's a departure from anything else
I've owned.  Bought it mostly for the weight savings
and the (low) price.  Battery life seems very good.
Pictures -- you judge.

You know, I'd rather shoot with a Canon 5D full-
frame SLR and a Canon L zoom lens, but not
at 11 oz.

>IMO, without a decent camera, there's no
>reason to hike.  I'm sure you'd understand
>that, even it toe don't.
>
>Of course there is.  When the memories fade, you go back and hike again!

These memories don't fade!

The intended audience of the pix is not me.
My wife barely does day hikes, and refuses to
wear a pack weighing more than 5 lbs.

I did get Merry to the summit of Monadnock
this year, and that was an achievement.
That she had fun (I think) was a small miracle.

There are parts of the AT I have no intention of
hiking twice.  (If they weren't AT I wouldn't even
hike them once.)

There are others (Katahdin, Franconia, Whites)
that I've done many times over.

rafe
aka terrapin