[at-l] Dealing with cold (was Packing a Platy)

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 21:25:31 CDT 2006

Wearing layers inside your sleeping bag will only reduce the effectiveness
of the bag if your added bulk ends up compressing the loft of the bag.  So,
if your bag  is roomy, those added layers will help.  If your bag is tight,
you may be doing yourself a disservice wearing the extra cloths.

Wearing rain gear in you bag may have had the effect of a vapor barrier
liner. VBLs are usually best used in only extremely cold weather on long
expeditions (think skiing to the poles) where there is no chance whatsoever
of drying to dry your sleeping bag as your sweat builds up in the bag.
Plus, you wouldn't want more than one layer under the VBL as they will
retain all the moisture from your sweat.  Then you end up hiking in wet
clothes the next day.

Google found this reasonable entry about VBLs if you're interested in more
information:

http://www.netbackpacking.com/vapor-barrier-and-radiant-barrier-liners.html

Mara
Stitches, AT99