[at-l] Measuring Wheels (More)

Walt Daniels wdlists at optonline.net
Wed Feb 14 00:03:09 CST 2007

Accuracy is an inherent property of the device, not the user's perception. A
wheel's accuracy depends on how good the manufacturer's tolerances are on
getting the diameter of the wheel right. It also depends on not slipping
which on ice is a problem. Otherwise it measures whatever it rolls over as
accurately as it is calibrated. What it measures may not be what you
perceive as distance on non-flat surfaces. I think some of us perceive of
distance as the length of a piece of string stretched along the path but off
the surface enough that it does not see the small ups and downs of rocks but
does see the small cliff that goes vertically up or down 30 feet. I know of
no device that measures that other than the piece of string with a crew
arguing about where to place it.

A GPS's accuracy depends a lot on where the satellites are at the moment but
is typically 3-15 feet unless you use fancy GPSs with differential
correction, etc. That accuracy is of any particular position. Since it is
measuring absolute position the errors tend to cancel out. The shortage on
one position may show up as an overage on the next if all the errors were
along the path. But they aren't so you tend to get a path with more jags
than are really there. Ideally for measuring the distance you would sum up
all the individual distances between track points. The randomness of the
errors tends to cancel out the distance errors. Most GPSs I have seen have a
display of distance travelled but no explaination of exactly what they are
computing to arrive at it. In other words it is proprietary and unknown. On
rough terrain my cheap Garmin tends to be about 10% lower than what my wheel
reads. Some people will quote distance numbers computed from their GIS
program after they have uploaded the data. These typically correct for ups
and downs based on the contours which are derived photogramatically from
aerial photos and reported on a 10x10 meter grid and interpolated along the
path, so they certainly don't see small elevation changes over short
distances. One thing you need to know about GPSs is that they take track
points every so many seconds, typically 1 to 5. This means how dense your
points are depends on your speed of travel and if you don't slow down going
around a switchback you are likely to get one point 10 feet short of the
turn and one 10 feet after the turn resulting in 3 feet of distance instead
of 20.