[at-l] Gear List - for March **BFT** OT

Russ Drake russ_a_drake at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 17:15:44 CST 2007

Mark,

    I think you are right about it being a bit cool when I do the Slate run crossing...  I was reading the guide book and they mentioned that there are more than 20 stream crossings on the county line stream.

    I am REALLY trying to trim my pack weight and I would love to have it down to 35 pounds ... but I don't want to be shivering in my bag at night and not enjoying myself on this hike... I received one piece of advice to ditch the camelback and use my 32ounce bottle instead... that is a few more ounces...

  Russ

Mark Hudson <mvhudson at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hey Russ, the BFT is beautiful, my favorite trail in Pa so far!

My guidebook is not falling readily to hand, but if you start where the
guidebook does and follow in the same direction you will hit a major water
crossing less than a half mile from the road, and it is a wading crossing...
I don't remember anything else that wasn't bridged or couldn't be crossed by
rock hopping, but I did it in summer and you may be facing higher water...
At least by the way winter is looking so far you won't be facing ice .
And the Crocs method is probably the only idea that is going to work on that
first crossing. It won't be more than shin deep, but I think I can assure
you it will be cold!

skeeter