[at-l] some real questions...

Ken Bennett bennettk at wfu.edu
Thu Mar 1 12:10:52 CST 2007

On 3/1/07, Felix J <athiker at smithville.net> wrote:

> Hey, I've got a couple of REAL gear 'repair' questions.
> First, I have a pair of gaiters, brand new except for the recent PA
> hike. They are WAY too big at the top.

Felix,

You (or someone you know) could take the gaiters apart at the front -- where
the Velcro is -- and trim the fabric so they fit properly, then sew down a
hem and resew the Velcro back on. You may have to do some creative sewing
where the elastic band is, but it doesn't sound that difficult. At least
it's not a zipper.

Secondly, I have some Leki Makula (Mukala, Mukalu,
> Mukaluk...something...) and one of them won't 'tighten'. I've pulled
> that section out and hand-tightened the nut on it several times and it
> works fine THAT TIME. If I adjust it/collapse it, the same thing
> happens. Advice for keeping the nut tight?

I had this problem. Try lightly sanding the outside of the two plastic
pieces that actually jam into the inside of the pole. (Does that make
sense?) These sometimes get glazed from friction and no longer want to hold
onto the inside of the pole.

Other than that, good luck. I have two sets of Lekis with the 'new' locking
system that won't stay locked. Argh.

--Ken