[at-l] Goodbye Listers

Shelly Hale shellydhale at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 4 12:34:48 CST 2007

When I first started researching for my-still-dreamed-of-thru a few years
ago, the AT-L was the first step into the hiking community.  And, I have to
say that the AT-L has contributed much to my knowledge about not only the AT
but the many facets of hiking; resources for additional information; and the
people that do it as well as what drives them.

The first post I made was buried and I thought long forgotten, but then
Hopeful welcomed me into the fold and Chainsaw passed me the mashmellows.
Ever since, I've really welcomed the posts from the AT-L in my inbox....it's
kinda like Christmas every day! :)

Through the AT-L I've met some really amazing folks.  Not only have many of
them taught me about hiking, but several have helped me through some really
tough life changes of late.  So, I not only gained mentors, I also gained a
new family.

And, I honestly think that this is really what the AT-L is akin to.  In our
own dysfunctional way, we are a family.

In the beginning, I was very vocal on the list and even sometimes an
instigator for a few debates <<<blush & VVBG>>>.  However, lately life in
general has gotten in the way of being able to contribute to the list (I bet
Ryan is a tad thankful for that! LOL).  Hopefully, though, things will
settle down a bit for me and I can again then have the time to respond more
often.

Perhaps, this is what has happened to many of us that used to post
frequently here.  Lifeinteruptous is a TERRIBLE disease to have!  LOL

Slim, I hope that your hike is all that you dream it to be.  And, when you
are finished, please come back to the list and share your adventures with
us.  It is those stories that keep the flame and hope alive in me for
realizing my dream of a thru on the AT.