[at-l] Advice, please on tents for my scouts

Lurker lurker1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 6 18:22:23 CST 2007

Well, Partly I was being a bit tongue in cheek, BUT in the 21 years that
I have been an assistant SM, I have seen a greater and greater emphasis
on not putting the scouts in harms way.  Things like two deep
leadership, tougher restrictions on tour permits, YPT for the adults,
criminal background checks, I could go on.  None of these are bad, don't
get me wrong, but they point to an ever increasing atmosphere of
protectionism.  Thus the comment of "Make men of them. Put hair on their
chest." is _very_ much contrary to the current ideas.  Why, we are even
pushing LNT!  That is really different.  :)

Lurker

PS  In response to the original question, while they are heavier than
wanted, the Timberline 2XT would be hard to beat.  Not too expensive
($149.90), two doors, and tough.  The major problem is that they weigh
7-1/2 pounds.  They continue to be available from Campmor.