[at-l] what is safety, and/or America's wimpification?

Cutter cutter78 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 21:01:40 CST 2007

On 3/7/07, Clark Wright <icw at wardanddavis.com> wrote:

> In reading the thread triggered by scouting tents and such, I am reminded
> of
> one of the most important, and difficult dilemmas of our time - namely,
> our
> desire - whether as a parent, scout leader, government official, medical
> services provider, teacher, coach or insurance adjuster to AVOID danger
> and
> protect those in our charge or care, versus what I believe is a critical
> need that we INTENTIONALLY EXPOSE our children (and ourselves) to danger
> in
> order to help them grow and learn and better be able to take care of
> themselves and others as they grow older.  <snip>

Please don't take this as a personal attack against you or your profession,
Thru-Thinker, but I couldn't help but be reminded that one of the primary
reasons scout leaders, government officials, medical service providers,
teachers, etc., etc., wish to avoid danger is because of the fear of
lawsuits.

--
Cutter
http://cutter.wordpress.com