[at-l] snowing in Virginia--er, Utah

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Fri Nov 16 14:43:43 CST 2007

Couple of years ago I had a mid-October?business trip to Salt Lake City with a free Sunday.?

I rented a car and drove to a state park that's in the middle of the Great Salt Lake.? Did a little dayhike,?watched the buffalo?and antelope on the island, enjoyed seeing a coyote trotting the beach, visited the park museum.? It was a cold-ish,?gusty?day, intermittently overcast.?

I still had some time before dark, so I decided to drive up toward Sundance.? By the time I got to the base of the mountains and started up the canyon, it was misty with red fall leaves showing through the patchy mist/fog.? A little higher up the canyon, there was patchy snow on the ground.? By the time I got to the top, it was a Christmas card wonderland of snow-covered chalets, evergreens in thick snow blankets, etc.? I never made it to Sundance as the road was narrow, unplowed, and full of hair-pin mountain?turns.? I've been in Florida too long now to want to tackle that road.?

I turned around and drove back to the mountain base.? When I got back down, I just wanted to see that snow scene one more time; so I did a U-turn and drove the 20-25 minutes back to the top again just to soak in the scenery.? Snow in October was a beautiful thing to me.

Joan
bluetrail at aol.com