[at-l] Volunteerism [WAS Re: Lookin']

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 09:45:34 CST 2007

--- wdlists at optonline.net wrote:

> Stealth maintenance is a problem for existing
> volunteers assigned to a trail. ...
### With all due respect to your efforts past,
present, and future, the attitude above is the stuff
from which "stealth maintenance" was born.

### Similarly, in another message, a need was
presented for hiring a graphic artist; yet, graphic
arts work has *always* been done.

### Use it up, wear it out; MAKE IT DO, DO WITHOUT.

### Again, "professionalism" has replaced amateurism
in the ATC -- what started this thread. Manufacturing
"needs" -- whether new trail/reroutes, bridging every
little piece of moisture from Georgia to Maine,
running steps up every incline over 12*... ... ... --
it's still *manufacturing* need, and removing the
members/volunteers from the organization, and focusing
the organization on the organization rather than the
trail.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS, and I do NOT mean to disparage
the hard work of you and so many others on this list
-- nor even my own *paltry* efforts over the years.
But the opinion is based on watching the ATC since
1979, and having rehiked a good 1/3rd or more of the
most heavily hiked AT miles since 2000.