[at-l] at-l Digest, Dry

Charles Davidson chaseat99 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 08:05:43 CDT 2007

After a great Gathering,

              I was dropped off at Caledonia 9:00 Sunday morning and hiked
south to Waynesboro, VA. It was very hot the first few days. Day one I
camped at a stream about a mile north of PenMar. Day two I walk to Dahlgreen
campsite and enjoyed a shower and had the whole camp to myself. I was able
to get water at Washington Monument park and Gathers..sp park. Ensign Cowel
shelter was dry. Next I walked to Harpers Ferry and slept at the Hiltop
Hotel. Garvey shelter had plenty of water. After HF I stop0ped at Blackburn
Center for water and camped that night at Sand Spring which had water about
50' from the spring. I got a text message from FannyPack and he was leaving
gallons of water out all through the area. After picking up supplies at the
Linden PO and a sandwich at the store and deli I camped at Mosbey Campsite a
few miles before Front Royal. Denten shelter had puddles of water in the
stream and the spring at Mosbey had water. Reports said the Tom Floyd spring
would take an hour to fill one quart. FP had left water at Compton Gap and
Gravel Springs shelter had water. I moved on a few miles and camped on
Hogpen mt I think it was. When I got to Elkwallo Wayside Fanny Pack was
there. The services mostly remain open till November 3rd. Afterwards there
are several freeze proof faucets that remain on year round at entry stations
etc. I walked a few more miles and met up with FP again. Rotten Rodney was
there heading south too. Rodney is also working on his third 2000 miler.
Later FP and I went to Luray to eat and Motel for the night. I picked up a
package at Swift Run (a motel there accepts packages even if you dont stay).
Here I skipped ahead a bit since I had a practice run on half the Mountain
Masochist course Saturday morning and I wanted to get a little running in.
FP, Rodney and I camped on little Calf mt at a really neat spot that FP
found. What a great view. Next day we reached my car a Waynesboro and Rodney
and I hit the YMCA for a shower. Rodney camped there, and I drove on to Hog
Camp Gap for the night. Next day I ran the Hotel Trail / Cole mt (AT) loop.
Cow Camp Gap shelter the stream was dry in front of the shelter but about
1/4 mile down another stream had some flow. I did not check the spring at
Hog Camp Gap because there were many jugs of water at the crossing. 1/2 mile
west at the site of the old Wiggins Spring shelter there is a great spring.
After that the fun began. I went home and cut the grass. Friday I camped off
the Tye river on Crabtree Farm Road (near Priest Shelter). A good storm
brewed up. It poured rain and there were high winds too. Next day you could
see where the runoff had washed places in the trail and roads. So hopefully
that replenished some of the springs. Saturday we ran from highway 60 to
Montebello, mostly on fire roads and some old AT in the Greasy Springs area.