[at-l] Flying With Backpack

KGJ jplynch at crosslink.net
Thu Dec 18 10:14:40 CST 2008

My poles are collapsible/adjustable so they fit in the back pack with the
handles poking out the top.  The top flap covers the handles and I tie
everything down pretty tightly.  I've also put them in a shipping tube, but
that's now another piece of luggage.  I've not had any problems, and the
airlines seem pretty used to backpacks.  I've never used a duffle bag.
I have in the past removed straps and such, but that seems to be overkill.
Now I just tighten things up and tie off all loose ends.  I buckle the waist
band around the pack.
(One airline lost my backpack once when I was on the way to Yosemite.
Luckily it turned up and they brought it to my hostel at midnight!  I think
it was Frontier Airlines; good service!).