[at-l] hike

Charles Davidson chaseat99 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 19:31:00 CDT 2008

Hi Gang,
               I took  a short hike and spent the night on the AT. Man
was it hot yesterday climbing that mountain in the hottest part of the
day. I was real anxious to try out my new ULA Catalyst back pack. Also
to test out a slightly used Nomad tent. I have been real happy with the
two Nomads that I own and this one is slightly different being made
during a different phase of model improvements. First of all I forgot my
hiking poles but luckily I had a spare one in the car. I used a stick
and one pole and got the tent set up fine. While I was out I moved two
wildlife cameras to two new locations. This helped me test out that new
pack. I was already carrying more than usual and for a while there I had
16 D battery's and two cameras for added weight and volume. The pack was
pretty comfortable being larger and with more padding than my usual
Golight Race pack. The addition of a frame makes the Catalyst a great
pack. The pack weighs 43 oz.
    I met a couple of hikers from PA out for a few days. Last night I
set up camp just as it was getting dark. Suddenly I had a terrific
headache, actually it wast all that terrific. More like right on the
verge of making me nauseas. It finally quite throbbing around 4 am.
Something else I had forgotten in my overloaded pack was a small stuff
sack that contained, my headlight, ibropene, key to my car and extra
batteries for my cell phone. For a while there I used my cell phone as a
light source then I remembered that I keep a small flashlight in my
toiletry bag. Luckily I keep an extra key stashed on my car. I drank
lots of water maybe 80 oz and 40 oz of gatoraide from noon till
midnight. So i stayed hydrated and kept my system flowing. Maybe it was
that sub way sandwich I carried to the to of the mountain. All in all it
was not as restful an overnighter as I had hoped for. I cleared a few
small blow downs. Its off to work again in the morning. Those last 4
twelve hour days really kicked my butt.

chase