[at-l] Ten days ago

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 27 18:09:12 CST 2008

This 6’4” dude was chasing me down the hall with a machete in one hand and a chain
saw in the other.  When he caught me, he took out my left knee and left behind this hunk
of titanium.  Dang – I’ve been assimilated – I’m a Borg.

OK – for those who aren’t Trekkies –

Ten days ago the surgeon gave me a new left knee – and a five day vacation in a hospital.
Got “home” (such as it is) last Friday – along with a 9” scar, a walker and a handful of
Percocet to throw at the truckful of pain that came with the package.

So now life is kinda limited for a while – but the bottom line on all this is I’m really,
really thankful –

-         that we’ve gotten to a time and place where knee replacement is possible
-          that there are people (surgeons) who can do the surgery with minimum pain and problems (that wasn’t true 20 years ago)
-         and that by next summer, I’ll be hiking again.

I’m also thankful for friends and family who care, for a wife who puts up with me and for
the health that will again allow me to hike.  There’s more – so much more, that we should
all be thankful for – but let’s not get hoggish about this – gotta let someone else be
thankful for some things.

Hope y’all had a good Turkey day – and that you’ll have a great Christmas season,
Jimhttp://www.spiriteaglehome.com/